As chaotic as life seems at times one can find order if he or she takes a closer look at the situation. This is true for rigging activities as well. If you follow the following 7 Rules you will always be on the safe side during your rigging activities.
- Know the load weight or perform your best estimate.
- Locate or estimate the location of the load's Center of Gravity (CG).
- Determine the load-share on each side of C/G.
- Calculate the tension in each sling-leg.
- As a minimum, select slings with capacity to match the sling-leg tension and hardware to match the vertical capacity of the slings.
- Inspect the rigging per ASME B30.9 and 29 CFR 1910.184.
- Ensure Great Load Control. Make sure the hitch or hitches you have selected, and their edge protection, provide good to excellent control so slipping does not occur.