Does New Gear Equal Perfect Gear?

Everyone loves new gear, who doesn’t? The real question to ask though, is new gear perfect gear? Well, it is new so that should mean it’s perfect. Sadly, that assumption may not be the smart one. Every time you receive new equipment you should take the time to inspect it. According to 2015 Top Professional Trainer, Jeff Ellis, “In my career I’ve seen 80% of new slings pass a good initial inspection process, leaving about a 20% issue rate.” Here are some of the issues you need to watch out for when receiving new gear. Equipment not properly marked, receiving equipment that you did not order, and damaged gear.

As mentioned in our previous blog post Less Assuming, More Doing, equipment not properly marked can be a life threating mistake. For example, you receive a brand new sling and assume that because it is new it’s a perfect sling. Well, unfortunately a rigger grabs the sling that is nylon although you ordered a polyester one but who knows it’s not properly labeled. Anyways, he goes and uses this nylon sling around acid based vapors and makes a critical crane lift. Well, because the sling is nylon the acidic vapors will eat right through the material which could cause you to drop the load. Remember ASME and OSHA require that all slings are properly labeled. ASME b30.9-5.7.1(d) and OSHA 1910.184(I)(1)

The first topic also touched base with this topic, receiving equipment you did not order. You order and receive 25 6’ web slings and look at them in the package. Again assuming that its perfect and exactly what you order. They have tags on them stating that they are 6’ so they’re good. Not taking them out of the box is a mistake. Just because that tag states they are 6’ doesn’t mean they 6’, you need to pull them out of the box and measure every single one of them. If you do happen to find one that is not 6’ this is the perfect time to call the company, you ordered from and have them replace it. It’s better to find this out now instead of when it’s too late to return them.

The last topic is new gear damaged. Seems odd that brand new gear would be damaged but it can and does happen whether it’s manufacture error or human error. For example, your shipment of gear comes in to receiving and because no one knows what’s in the box, it is opened with a razor knife, that accidently cuts thru the plastic packaging and into the synthetic sling. The slight cut gets ignored and the sling moves on to the rigger which then sends the sling to the floor. Even though it is new, the sling has already been compromised before it has even been used and will introduce unnecessary risk into the workplace.

As you can see brand new gear is not always perfect, whether its manufacture error or human error. Always take your equipment seriously and always inspect your new gear before you send it to the floor. If you would like to learn more about jobsite safety check out our safety videos on YouTube at SimsCrane.

Additional Information